Whilst the vast majority of resources used in a training are available through this website, you may wish to embark on either an online on face-to-face course, depending on your preferences and needs for optimal learning. This can be private or in a group. All funds raised through such events are donated to international animal charities FIAPO and IAR. Courses are predominantly for yoga teachers but can be tailor-made for keen practitioners. If you have studied all the resources available through this website and would like to have this recognised by becoming a certified Animalia Asana® Teacher, then get in touch to complete an open-book test/condensed online course.
Animalia Asana® Specialisation Training is for yoga teachers of any tradition who wish to incorporate the animal element within yoga more distinctly into their knowledge base or teaching. You can do this in an independent fashion, or as part of the growing international Animalia Asana® community with use of the Animalia Asana® name and logo. The latter option would require the donation of all funds generated to animal charities. You would be part of a healing, fundraising and educational initiative. Whichever route you choose, it is a fantastic opportunity to fill a niche, and to help both human and nonhuman animals. Join us on this one-of-a-kind course and spread more compassion for animals in society through your love and knowledge of yoga!
Each training option includes the following (i.e., both the face-to-face and online training formats):
- Two catalogues
1) A recycled-paper printed and fully-referenced catalogue containing the following (supplied online and in PDF only for the online training):
– the 60 (approx.) most well-known animal-named asanas with accompanying information on the anatomy and physiology of each posture, the spirituality/mythology/history of each posture and inspiring facts about the animal named in each posture
– the approx. 4 animal-named pranayama
– the 40 (approx.) animal-named mudras
– general animal-related information for use at the start/throughout/end of a yoga session that is not specific to a posture
– a breakdown of the animals associated with the chakras
– an extensive collection of readings and quotes related to the animal element in yoga that you could use in your teaching
2) A recycled-paper printed and fully-referenced catalogue of supporting documents covering all content of the training (supplied online and in PDF only for the online training);
- A list of all other lesser known animal-named postures (over 70 more!).
- A thorough portrayal of the background to and evidence for the animal element in yoga;
- A detailed historical account of the ahimsa teaching, different understandings and manifestations of ahimsa and Animalia Asana’s interpretation of ahimsa;
- A detailed and historical inquiry into ‘the sacred cow’;
- An examination of the textual records of animal-named postures;
- A discourse on modern (and historical) contentious issues within the animal element of yoga (including animal sacrifice, animal skins, vegetarianism/veganism, some effects of British colonialism in India and more);
- A contemplation of the potential ramifications of the multifaceted animal element in yoga for the modern yoga practitioner/teacher/community;
- An in-depth exploration of various teachings and inspiration relevant to human-animal relations in the world today. This will include information from ancient and more modern yogic sources, from the Animalia Asana patrons, from different past and current yoga leaders, from Shamanic interpretations of yoga, from some mythology examples and from modern science;
- An examination of essays containing material relevant to Animalia Asana’s work;
- A presentation on Animalia Asana’s recent research;
- An exploration of how the animal element in yoga may connect to modern discussions in yoga communities surrounding power and privilege dynamics;
- Animalia Asana Chanting Cards translated specially for Animalia Asana® (including Sanskrit, transliteration and English) in addition to an online collection of other animal-oriented chants that complement the ethos of Animalia Asana;
- Examples of guided animal-themed relaxation scripts and meditations;
- The chance to experience every facet of our yoga practice from an animal-oriented perspective;
- Two animal-based mythologies explored in detail;
- Ideas on how to create your Animalia Asana classes and workshops and a comprehensive break-down of different approaches to Animalia Asana classes and workshops;
- The chance to further fine-tune your understanding and practice of particular animal-named postures;
- Recommendation of key books, essays and other material for your Animalia Asana journey;
- Life-long use of the Animalia Asana® name and logo, life-long listing as a certified Animalia Asana® teacher on this website with details of your Animalia Asana activities (including assistance in promoting your events);
- Opportunity to join the management committee of Animalia Asana.
- Some information, ideas and guidance about (and experience of in the face-to-face option) The Animal Dance (an ecstatic awakening dance focusing on connecting with our animal nature) and on Animalia Asana sessions for kids;
- Exclusive access to the Animalia Asana International Teachers Facebook group/email community for continued support (including from the Founder/Trainer) and regular updates of new Animalia Asana content for your teaching;
- … and of course a 100% donation to International Animal Rescue and the India-based animal charity FIAPO (no wages taken).
Both training options contain the same content and depth of information; the online distance training option lacks the same extent of practical and experiential elements that the face-to-face group training enables. The timing of the online distance training option can be arranged to suit you and your life optimally. See testimonials here from the 2016, 2017 and 2018 trainings. For both training options, we sign an agreement that includes a commitment by you to give 100% of any funds gained from any of your dedicated Animalia Asana activities to FIAPO and International Animal Rescue (or another animal charity subject to agreement). NB: When just incorporating the animal element within yoga into other general yoga teaching (and not using the Animalia Asana® logo, name or titles) then a donation of funds is not obligatory.
Training Options (both face-to-face and online):
NB: if finances are a barrier to your participation, please enquire about other means of exchange.
1) Face-to-face training in the UK (please register your interest)
The face-to-face trainings require a minimum of three people to run. They take place in different locations, typically around the UK but other countries too subject to agreement. They are fantastic for people who enjoy intensive small-group learning, respond most optimally to experiential learning, prefer good old-fashioned face-to-face learning and wish to extend the training into a mini retreat. Dependent on venue, the cost would typically be between £150 and £250 for a long weekend (assuming a small group).
2) Online distance one-to-one training – 115 € / £99 (from anywhere, anytime!)
Fantastic for people based further afield, who are short of time or funds, who are confident using the online demonstrations and who already feel well-versed in the animal-named asanas. This training is delivered using freeconferencecall.com, email and snail mail (if applicable). There is greater use, analysis of and reference to the Animalia Asana® online video resources. This can be completed intensively in around six hours or, alternatively, less intensively with breaks in between over several weeks – your choice. Scroll back up to the top of this page to see what’s included in this one-of-a-kind course!
Past face-to-face group trainings have been held in the yurt Well-Being Centre in Sussex, at The Big Shed in Highland Perthshire, at The Ecology Centre in Fife, and at SemillaYogaPermaculture in Spain. Two online trainings have also been completed thus far. When possible, we seek out an eco-build of some kind for the setting of the face-to-face training.
View the testimonials.
One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them.
— attributed to Martin Luther King, Jr
= Pashu (nonhuman animal)